Okay, so the whole story behind this is Mom and I were out shopping one day. She happened to go by a new candle store in the mall and saw this little tiny tea set she absolutely loved. She started oo-ing and ahh-ing over it. I made a mental note to buy it later and hoped she wouldn't buy it. She finally said, "okay, I'm not buying for myself," and then she took one last longing look at it and we went out of the mall. The next day, she ended up going shopping and I mananged to talk her into taking me. We went to a couple of places and then she went to her doctor's appointment. Then we went to the mall. When we got there, I asked Mom for a twenty dollar bill and told her I had some shopping of my own to do. We figured out a place to meet and I took off. I stopped in Claire's looking for something for my sis, then I continued down to the candle shop. I found it closed down. I was pretty annoyed. Then I saw the note that said, "I will be right back" and I went to a couple of stores around it. About the fifth or sixth time I went back to it, it was open. So anyway, I picked up the tea set and looked around for a minute and then went to the checkout. I was telling the cashier that I was buying it for my Mom and I hoped she wouldn't come back in there. He told me that he would just tell her that he sold it. So I left and hid the te a set in my purse and then went to Jcpenney. Since Mom wasn't there yet, I went back to Claire's. We met there anyway. I told her that I didn't find anything and then we looked in Jc Penney for a minute then left. On the way out of the mall, Mom told me "that little tea set was gone! I went back to buy it and the guy told me that he sold it yesterday! I should have bought it yesterday!" I hemmed and hawed trying to pretend that I was all upset about it. We got to the car and Mom asked me if I still had the twenty she gave me. I told her yes, because I was not about to give the tea set away. Then we went to Hallmark. I looked there for something for my sister and since I only had ten dollars, I asked Mom, "Mom, if I wanted something more expensive, do you have another ten?" She only had two ones. I took them anyway. The next day, Mom was asking me how much I spent at Hallmark and I told her, "Well, I had the twenty." Ahhh!!!! Anyway, Dad and I were planning secrets all this week and she never knew about them. We had to stop a couple of times to pick things up for this cake in order to keep it a secret. I had a friend over for "baking" on Friday and we actually made her birthday cake! Well, I made the cake the night before, but we made the frosting and put roses on it since we ran out of time. So anyway. It's sooo hard keeping secrets from your Mom! I even heard that she took Dad back to that candle place again, but she couldn't buy the other sets, because she liked this one too much!
Well, this is the cake. I liked it, but I didn't like the fondant recipe I used. So I'll probably find something else next time.

Then of course, she hugged me, very excited and happy someone else hadn't bought it and she continued to play with her toy.
This is it.
This is it.
Anyway, she told me it was the best birthday she's had in a long time!
=) =) =)
=) =) =)





1 comments:
1) Awh, thanks so much for posting pictures! I wish we could have been there!
2) I can NOT believe you tried fondant! Pete's mom bakes wedding cakes, and she hates making fondant!
3) Congratulations on a party well-planned and executed! You deserve some sort of award. :-P At least you didn't have someone in on the plan who thought it was a different day! (Ask Mom about her shopping birthday with Aunt Kathi...)
Post a Comment